Province of Cumberland & Westmorland Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons
"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." - Oscar Wilde Writer Poet and Freemason
Latest News & Events
Donation to Kendal Amateur Boxing Club
Fri, 11th May 2018

Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons donate new motorcycle to the North West Blood Bikes
Thu, 17th May 2018

Donald Brownrigg - 50 year Certificate
Wed, 11th Apr 2018

Letter from Kensington Palace
Fri, 11th May 2018

Alston Lodge No 2794 Open Day
Sat, 26th May 2018

EMULATION LODGE of IMPROVEMENT
Fri, 29th Jun 2018

View all news items
Lodge Profile
The Lewis Chapter No.872 banner
Lewis Chapter No.872 Order: Holy Royal Arch

Meeting at: Masonic Hall, Duke Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7NZ

Secretary: Mark Edmiston

 

MEETING DAY JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC
2nd Friday
Key:  No Meeting No meeting Regular Meeting Regular Meeting Installation Installation Usual Day Changed Usual day changed Extraordinary Meeting Extraordinary

History and Information

In 1982 the 18 founder members began the process of establishing Lewis Chapter. This would be only the second Chapter in Whitehaven - the first being Sun, Square and Compasses Chapter No. 119 - which had been consecrated in pre-Union times - 1768.The following year saw the Chapter gradually become a reality. Preparations ramped up considerably during the summer of 1983 onwards with many items being made, procured or, indeed, gifted to the fledgling Chapter. The Sojourners’ pick, shovel and crow were true “working tools”, having been previously used at Haig Colliery in the town.

The Consecration took place on Saturday 25th February 1984. There were over 100 attendees with some 25 Chapters represented. The Chapter was duly consecrated by the Grand Superintendent E Comp David Foster assisted by the Deputy Grand Superintendent E Comp Coyd. The consecrating team included two future Grand Superintendents, E Comp Canon Roan who was Prov. Grand Scribe N and E Comp John Hale who was Prov. Grand Director of Ceremonies at the time. The Chapter’s first three Principals were E Comps Tom Millican (Z), Arnold Iddon (H) and John Stalker (J). The first years were characterised by steady growth and full programmes of Exaltations, some of them being “doubles”. In fact it was not until June 1989 that there was a Convocation which did not feature an Exaltation (Installations excepted).

In December 1994, as part of the 10th anniversary celebrations, the Chapter Banner was dedicated by Grand Superintendent E Comp Canon Roan, assisted by the Provincial Second and Third Grand Principals.

The Installation Convocation of 1996 was particularly noteworthy in that it had to be postponed by dispensation. This had been due to very heavy snowfalls – well remembered by everyone – which had virtually cut off West Cumbria from the rest of the world and, naturally, made travelling and parking almost impossible.

July 2002 saw the Consecration of a daughter Chapter of Lewis – Arlecdon Chapter No. 1660. The relationship with Arlecdon continues to be a close one with many Companions being members of both Chapters.

The Companions marked the Chapter’s silver jubilee in 2009. Rather appropriately, Founder Member E Comp Bill Holliday was installed in the Chair of Z that year. The September convocation featured the formal celebrations which included orations and a lecture on the history of the Chapter followed by a festive board enjoyed by all.

Lewis continues to be a vibrant Chapter with many keen Companions dedicated to achieving the highest standards of Royal Arch masonry.


Interactive Map (now powered by Google)

Open / Close Click here for some useful hints and tips when using this map.

Gallery Highlights
Gallery | Refresh view
Her Majesty The Queen visits Cumbria
The Outward Bound Trust
Brathay Exploration Trust
The conclusion of the Grand Masters visit
Fellowcrafts together

This website has been approved by the United Grand Lodge of England


©2009-2018 Provincial Grand Lodge of Cumberland & Westmorland [Copyright]

Provincial Office: Masonic Hall, Cambridge Street, Millom, Cumbria LA18 5BD



| Print this page | Terms & conditions | Privacy policy | Google+