Province of Cumberland & Westmorland Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority." - Ralph W. Sockman
Latest News & Events
East Lakes Group News Letter Winter 2017 - 18
Sun, 18th Mar 2018

3rd degree at the lodge of friendship 8275
Wed, 7th Mar 2018

Presentation of Golden Jubilee certificate to W Bro Joseph (Joe) Scott PPGSW of Eden Valley Lodge No
Thu, 25th Jan 2018

St Michaels Lodge No 8454 Installation
Tue, 6th Mar 2018

UGLE Grand Honours
Tue, 6th Mar 2018

South Westmorland Group Newsletter
Tue, 6th Mar 2018

View all news items
In Memoriam
Honoured Brethren from Lodge of Unanimity No.339 who have passed to the Grand Lodge above.
Kenneth  Graham
Passed: 30/08/2007
Ernest T.  Slee
Passed: 18/08/2006
Joe  Armstrong
Passed: 27/05/2005
View all In Memoriam
Lodge Profile
Awaiting Lodge banner image
Lodge of Unanimity No.339 Order: Craft Masonry

Meeting at: Masonic Hall, Portland Place, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QN - Tel: 01768 866640

Secretary: Gordon Osbaldestin


3rd Thursday
Key:  No Meeting No meeting Regular Meeting Regular Meeting Installation Installation Usual Day Changed Usual day changed Extraordinary Meeting Extraordinary

History and Information

The Lodge was founded 200 years ago in 1813 which makes it the oldest of four Craft Lodges in Penrith. It was warranted on the 1st Oct 1813 as number 640 and it was the last Lodge to receive a Warrant from the Premier Lodge, the so-called “Moderns”, before the Union of the two Grand Lodges in December 1813 when it became 647.
Actually, the name Unanimity came from a previous Lodge of that name founded in the neighbourhood of Penrith, believed to be in Hackthorpe in 1776, but which unfortunately failed to pay dues to Grand Lodge in London and was therefore lapsed and surrendered its Warrant in 1811. Some of the same members of the original Lodge were founders of the present Lodge in October 1813. The present Bible used on the Worshipful Master’s pedestal is believed to have been the Bible used by the previous Lodge of Unanimity and is certainly of the same vintage. In 1832 the Lodge became No. 424 and finally 339, its present number in 1863.
The warrant of 1813 was unfortunately destroyed and the Lodge operates under a Warrant of Confirmation issued in 1828 by the Duke of Sussex, the first Grand Master after the Union.

In the early days, the meetings of both Lodges of Unanimity were in pubs in the town, firstly at the Queen’s Head, King Street, then the Black Bull, Cornmarket, followed by the King of Prussia, Angel Lane, which is where Marvin’s Jewellers shop is today. Then a house in Bell & Bullock Yard, King Street was used, and in the 1850’s they moved the meeting place to a room at the Crown Hotel, King Street, and from 1908 to the Town Hall. In 1932 Hutton Hall was acquired by the Lodge and used as a Masonic Hall until 1983 when the combined Penrith Lodges purchased the former Christ Church Parish Rooms building.
The early years of the Lodge were quiet but by the mid-1800’s, steady progress was being made. One eminent brother, a member for many years was a joining member, Dr William Thomas Greaves who after taking various offices was Master in 1851 and again in 1874. His main claim to fame was as Deputy Provincial Grand Master from 1854 until 1867. In 1865 he was presented with a Silver Salver and on the same occasion he also received a purse containing 100 guineas, equivalent to several thousand pounds today. The active membership of Bro Greaves in Penrith was a great stimulus to Freemasonry in the area and prompted the formation of other nearby lodges such as Eden Valley Lodge No 812 in Appleby in 1860 and in 1865 the Lodge sponsored Greta Lodge No 1073 at Keswick and the first Master was W.Bro John Teather who had been Worshipful Master of Unanimity four times in the 1840’s.
Another master of the Lodge was Sir Richard Musgrave, Baronet, of Eden Hall who was WM in 1875. During his year in office he attended the investiture of HRH, the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) as Grand Master.
On 6th April 1893, the Lodge took a leading part in the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Penrith Drill Hall; the commemorative plaque from that occasion is at the top of the stairs outside the lodge room door. In 1900 membership stood at around 50.
When Ullswater Lodge No 3297 was formed in the town in 1908, six of the founders were members of Unanimity, including the IPM and those who became WM in 1910, 1911 and 1913.
One hundred years ago, on 1st October 1913, the Lodge celebrated its centenary. An elaborate centenary souvenir programme was dedicated to the oldest member, W.Bro. William Little, PPGW, a solicitor. He was initiated in 1855, was WM in 1868, and at his death in 1930 he had been a member of the Lodge for 75 years and was the oldest Freemason in the Province.
The WM has the only known copy of that centenary programme and he has had it reprinted and incorporated in a new history souvenir.
After the 2nd World War in 1946 the Lodge again sponsored a new Lodge, this time in Penrith, and this was Beacon Lodge No 6202 with seventeen of the 21 founders being members of the Lodge of Unanimity, including the first Master, W. Bro. Richard Hargreaves, MBE. On receiving Past Grand Rank (PAGDC) in 1951, W.Bro Hargreaves became the first PM of the Lodge of Unanimity to be so honoured by the MW Grand Master.
The Lodge owned three beautiful hand painted Tracing Boards which are now in the care of the Masonic Hall Trust which looks after the building. The origin of these unique boards is obscure. The “third” has the name “J. Porter” and date “Jan 31st 1828” stencilled on the back of the canvas and it is interesting to note that an initiate on January 8th 1827 was Bro. Joseph Porter, a Coach, House, Sign, Ornamental Painter & Guilder, in business in Sandgate, Penrith, with whom the famous Penrith Artist Jacob Thompson served an early apprenticeship.
There are also chairs still in use today which are believed to be the subject of a minute of 11th March 1839, stating that “William Thompson be employed to make two dozen small chairs and two armchairs at 6 shillings each and the emblems to be inlaid with brass”.
In 1958, W.Bro Roland Hetherington, then the IPM, made the handsome Honours Board of oak from Lowther Castle, on which are recorded the names of Past Masters, downstairs in the dining room.
The 150th Anniversary was celebrated on 3rd October 1963 with a Ceremony at Hutton Hall attended by the RW Provincial Grand Master, Bro. George Albert Marley followed by a Banquet at the George Hotel.
Continuing a tradition of longevity, W.Bro. Robert Irving celebrated his 90th birthday in 1970, fifty three years after being Worshipful Master.
The Master in 1973 was W.Bro. Brian Wilson, who was a Steward in 1963 at the 150 year celebration and present at the Bicentenary as the oldest Past Master, and in April, was honoured with a 60 years in Masonry Certificate. During Bro Wilson’s year in the Chair, 1973, the current Worshipful Master, W.Bro. Fallowfield was initiated and who was WM the first time in 1992.
The Lodge enjoys Official Visits with the three other Penrith Craft Lodges and with Uter Pendragon Lodge No 3481 at Kirkby Stephen and Annual Fraternal Visits with Unanimity Lodge No 113 at Preston and Morecambe Lodge No 1561, both in the Province of West Lancashire.

In 1998 W.Bro. Kenneth Graham became the first member of the Lodge to be appointed an Officer of United Grand Lodge since the 2nd World War era. More recently, in 2011, W.Bro Michael Clementson was also appointed to PAGDC in Grand Lodge.

Interactive Map (now powered by Google)

Open / Close Click here for some useful hints and tips when using this map.

Gallery Highlights
Gallery | Refresh view
W.Bro. D.J. Whicker installed at Cumbrian Byte No.9760
Boxing Tournament February 2011 - Knockout!
Enthronement meeting of Dykes Conclave No.36 Red Cross of Constantine
HRH enters the Masonic Hall Carlisle
Double Raising at Brigantes Lodge No.9734

This website has been approved by the United Grand Lodge of England

©2009-2018 Provincial Grand Lodge of Cumberland & Westmorland [Copyright]

Provincial Office: Masonic Hall, Cambridge Street, Millom, Cumbria LA18 5BD

| Print this page | Terms & conditions | Privacy policy | Google+