Province of Cumberland & Westmorland Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." - Immanuel Kant (1724 - 1804)
Latest News & Events
FREEMASONRY IN THE 21ST CENTURY SHARING THE CRAFT RITUAL!
Thu, 31st May 2018

£1000 donation to the Westmorland Youth Orchestra by the Freemasons of the Province of Cumberla
Sat, 17th Mar 2018

East Lakes Group News Letter Winter 2017 - 18
Sun, 18th Mar 2018

3rd degree at the lodge of friendship 8275
Wed, 7th Mar 2018

Bill Ventures South of the Border
Tue, 14th Nov 2017

Ross returns to the Chair of Fraternity
Wed, 8th Nov 2017

View all news items
In Memoriam
Honoured Brethren from St. Johns Lodge No.8660 who have passed to the Grand Lodge above.
William  Collins
Passed: 03/07/2006
James (Jim)  Jackson
Passed: 25/10/2005
View all In Memoriam
Lodge Profile
The St. Johns Lodge No.8660 banner
St. Johns Lodge No.8660 Order: Craft Masonry

Meeting at: Masonic Hall, Gordon Street, Workington, Cumbria CA14 2EN - Tel: 01900 872064

Secretary: Denis Noble

      View current summons

MEETING DAY JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC
4th Tuesday
Key:  No Meeting No meeting Regular Meeting Regular Meeting Installation Installation Usual Day Changed Usual day changed Extraordinary Meeting Extraordinary

History and Information

The seeds of St John's Lodge were driven by the need to expand the freemasonry fraternity in the Workington area. W Bro. Russell PProv. SGW and W Bro J H Head both members of the Eden Lodge No 2285 were the instigators of forming the new Lodge. The first meeting of the steering committee took place on the 4 June 1974. W Bro Canon W F Roan of Eden and Beacon was the chairman. The Lodge name was used in difference to him as he was the Vicar of St John's Church in Workington. The sponsor of the Lodge was Eden No 2285 and in the total there were 36 founders from 10 Lodges.
The consecration of the Lodge took place on the 20 November 1975 and the first meeting took place on 25 November 1975. The Lodge banner was donated by W Bro Denis Pattinson and was consecrated on 27 February 1979. In April 1987 W Bro Barry Mawson was the first St John's Initiate to attain the Chair of King Solomon.
An exchange visit between St Johns Lodge and Alnefoot Lodge No 9232 was organised by W Bro JJ Bowden and W Bro K Hodgson. The first meeting taking place in December 1992 and the return visit in January 1993. The exchange visits have continued on an annual basis thereafter.
St Johns Lodge were the sponsors of the new St Johns Lodge Chapter No 8660 which was consecrated on 24 August 1995. The Lodge celebrated its first 25 years on 28 November 2000 which was attended by a full complement of Provincial Grand Lodge.
The catering of the Lodge has from the beginning been undertaken by the Lodge ladies and has always been well received by member and visitors alike. The money raised by the ladies over the years has been used to purchase lodge regalia etc. The funds from the Lodge have been donated to both masonic and non-masonic charities and also used in supporting local events.
St Johns Lodge being a comparatively new lodge which has evolved masonically and have had to date four members who have been accorder Grand Lodge Honours.


Interactive Map (now powered by Google)

Open / Close Click here for some useful hints and tips when using this map.

Gallery Highlights
Gallery | Refresh view
Provincial Grand Officers investiture
Boxing Tournament February 2011 - Boxers
The conclusion of the Grand Masters visit
Boxing Tournament February 2011 - W.Bro. Stuart Wilson
Especial meeting of the Provincial Grand Chapter at Solway Chapter No.1220

This website has been approved by the United Grand Lodge of England


©2009-2018 Provincial Grand Lodge of Cumberland & Westmorland [Copyright]

Provincial Office: Masonic Hall, Cambridge Street, Millom, Cumbria LA18 5BD



| Print this page | Terms & conditions | Privacy policy | Google+