Province of Cumberland & Westmorland Cumberland & Westmorland Freemasons
"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted." - Aesop (620 BC - 560 BC) The Lion and the Mouse
Latest News & Events
FREEMASONRY IN THE 21ST CENTURY SHARING THE CRAFT RITUAL!
Thu, 31st May 2018

£1000 donation to the Westmorland Youth Orchestra by the Freemasons of the Province of Cumberla
Sat, 17th Mar 2018

East Lakes Group News Letter Winter 2017 - 18
Sun, 18th Mar 2018

3rd degree at the lodge of friendship 8275
Wed, 7th Mar 2018

Bill Ventures South of the Border
Tue, 14th Nov 2017

Ross returns to the Chair of Fraternity
Wed, 8th Nov 2017

View all news items
In Memoriam
Honoured Brethren from Lewis Lodge No.872 who have passed to the Grand Lodge above.
Bill Tallentire
Passed: 22/03/2015
Allan Ramsay
Passed: 08/03/2015
Henry Robinson  Messenger
Passed: 01/03/2013
Ernie  Hoffman
Passed: 14/08/2008
Alan  McFarland
Passed: 17/10/2006
View all In Memoriam
Lodge Profile
The Lewis Lodge No.872 banner
Lewis Lodge No.872 Order: Craft Masonry

Meeting at: Masonic Hall, Duke Street, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7NZ

Secretary: Mark Edmiston

 

MEETING DAY JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC
3rd Tuesday
Key:  No Meeting No meeting Regular Meeting Regular Meeting Installation Installation Usual Day Changed Usual day changed Extraordinary Meeting Extraordinary

News & Events for Lewis Lodge No.872
Sunday, 23rd April 2017
2017
April
23rd

W Bro Henry McQuire - 50 years in Freemasonry

Henry was born in Whitehaven January 1936. He was married to Phyllis in February 1960. They have two daughters and four grandchildren. He joined the Navy at the age of 16. On leaving, he worked as a Fire & Safety Officer with the N.C.B at Haig & Moresby mines. Later, he joined the Cumberland Ambulance Service and served there for 30 years until he retired.

He is a keen sportsman and was a Rugby League T...

Submitted on 30th April 2017 by W.Bro. Mark Edmiston

History and Information

Lewis Lodge came into being in 1861 due to the efforts of brethren from the oldest Lodge in the Province - Sun, Square and Compasses No. 119 - to establish a second Lodge in the town of Whitehaven. The lodge was consecrated in September 30th of that year by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W. Bro W.T. Greaves, at Freemasons' Hall, College Street. Originally numbered 1174, it became no. 872 in 1863 due to subsequent reallocation of Lodge numbers.

The first Worshipful Master was Bro. John Davis and the first initiate of the Lodge was Mr Crowther Morton who went on to become a very prominent figure in the province. In 1871, the brethren moved from College Street to new premises at Duke Street where the Lodge remains to this day. The building had previously been used as a Roman Catholic Church and was leased from the Earl of Lonsdale. It was purchased in 1909 and then extensively renovated.

Membership grew rapidly. In common with other lodges, there was a great increase in candidates following the First World War: by the 1920s Lewis membership was around 200. The Lodge celebrated its centenary at a special meeting on 30th September 1961, 100 years to the day after its consecration. It was held at the Whitehaven College of Further Education. The Lodge was honoured by the presence of Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Right Worshipful Bro. T.D. Shepherd, who was accompanied by Provincial Wardens, other officers and over 150 brethren.

Over the years, other Lodges have been sponsored including Kenlis Lodge No. 1267 of Egremont, Temperantia Lodge No. 2854 (Whitehaven), Scawfell Lodge No. 3768 (Seascale) and Lowther Lodge No. 7809 (Whitehaven). A particularly close relationship exists with Scawfell, reciprocal visits being arranged each year in February and December. Likewise there are very strong ties with Lowther Lodge which is also resident at Duke Street. Beginning in the 1960s, a strong relationship was struck with Lodge Douglas No. 1557, Province of Renfrewshire East, Scottish Constitution and this has continued unabated to the present day.

The social side of Lewis Lodge has always been uppermost with many ladies' nights, race nights, dinner dances and other fundraising events having been held. Throughout the last 50 years, the Lodge has maintained healthy levels of membership. Up until the 1980s, "double" ceremonies were the norm and it was not until 2005 that the numbers of new recruits began to dwindle. However, more recently, there has been a regular stream of new candidates.

The quality of degree and ritual work has always been an important feature of Lewis Lodge. In the 1970s and 1980s, sections of the Masonic lectures were worked by groups of brethren. The rarely-heard 1st Degree Tracing Board Lecture has become something of a Lodge speciality. In 2009, W Bro Allan Ramsay became Worshipful Master for the second time. This was the first occasion since 1885 that a Lewis Past Master had been installed in the Chair.

Today, membership of the Lodge is strong - we have 89 members - and the Officers and Brethren eagerly participate in Lodge activities. There is a bimonthly newsletter entitled "The Lewis" and our visitors are always assured of the warmest possible welcome and an evening of profit and pleasure.


Interactive Map (now powered by Google)

Open / Close Click here for some useful hints and tips when using this map.

Gallery Highlights
Gallery | Refresh view
Enthronement meeting of Dykes Conclave No.36 Red Cross of Constantine
Fellowcrafts together
Cumbria Scouts
Boxing Tournament February 2011 - Piper
Boxing Tournament February 2011 - Provincial Rulers

This website has been approved by the United Grand Lodge of England


©2009-2018 Provincial Grand Lodge of Cumberland & Westmorland [Copyright]

Provincial Office: Masonic Hall, Cambridge Street, Millom, Cumbria LA18 5BD



| Print this page | Terms & conditions | Privacy policy | Google+